Hooker also was first collector of the port. Canfield built the first storehouse and in 1817 constructed the first wharf.
On November 12, 1831, Alfred Hooker disposed of this property to James M. Stocking, who sold it to John Canfield, Jr., March 15, 1837. On May 4, 1838, Canfield conveyed it to Paschal Miller, who had been supervisor in 1825-26, and March 28, 1843, Miller sold to Augustus Chapman, James Averell and Samuel Stocking. August 19, 1844, Stocking conveyed his interest in that and other lands to Averell and Chapman, who, on December 26, 1857, sold to John Griffin.
Griffin died January 16, 1868, and his executors, Emily Griffin and Henry Russell disposed of the place to John D. Soper on November 1, 1880. Soper died September 30, 1881, leaving the property to his daughter, Mrs. Mary E. Pierce. She died March 17, 1932, willing this house and land to her husband, Thomas W. Pierce, to whom she had been married in 1879 and who was long a prominent Morristown merchant and politician. He had been village treasurer, member of the school board and on February 29, 1892, was appointed postmaster by President Benjamin Harrison.
Mrs. Janet Murray acquired the property from Mr. Pierce on August 12, 1932, five months after he inherited it from his wife. Located on the main business street it commands instant attention of the tourist and, designated the “Colonial,” has for some time been conducted as a tourist home by Mrs. Murray. Its central front door is of beautiful Georgian and opens into a hall, which equally divides the house. The main rooms are large and the house has ample size.”
The Paschal Miller House is also known as having ties to the Underground Railroad. It is suspected to have a connection in the history of the Prohibition Era.